As I mentioned last time, we received the upgrade kits to Lupine's Betty and Wilma. I've now had a chance to perform the operation, and both patients were a success. The last time we did an upgrade it was to an older Wilma, so I thought that this time I'd document the Betty.
Wednesday, January 20, 2010
First make sure that the light is disconnected from the battery!!
Now, remove the front lens by unscrewing the bezel--righty tighty, lefty loosey.
Next, remove the screws using the included hex key and remove the lens/collimator.
I tapped the light head on my palm--face down--to dislodge the circuit board that contains the emitters.
The new one is on the left and the old one on the right. I found the differences in emitter size to be amazing. Not only are the new emitters brighter, they are much smaller. This is why the old lens doesn't work. The new one is made for the smaller LEDs.
Reverse the process to put the light head back together, lining up the collimator over the new LED board and screwing in the screws.
After the light head is back together, plug in the battery and make sure that everything works as it should--that is, that the light actually turns on.
That's it. It took longer to type this up than it did to perform the upgrade. It's that simple.