Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Some Follow Up--Beams!

The weather gods have been kind to me. Not only have I been able to enjoy relatively mud free rides, but I have been able to take beam shots. Normally, this time of year, I am either waiting out rain or fog. Earlier this week, I had neither. Therefore, I grabbed the camera and set off for my favorite spot to shine the lights.


Man, I have a lot of pictures of this one spot of the county park. Which is closed at night. I keep waiting for the local constabulary to tap me on the shoulder and ask what I'm doing at night in a closed park, but so far, no-one has.

Let's run through the Ay-Up lights first, then we'll hit the upgraded Lupine's and see how they fair against NiteRider's best.

Here is the spot beam:


As usual, click on the image for the bigger version.

Intermediate beam:

And, the first time for us, wide:

As you can see, as the beam spreads out, it loses its throw. That's just the breaks of having a finite amount of light to work with. So far, I like the wide beam off the bike best, with the intermediate and spot beams handling bike duty.

Now, on to the Lupines. These are the lights that I upgraded in my last post. Let's start off with the Wilma (now with a claimed output of 1100 lumens). To compare to the older set up, see HERE.

As you can see, it is still a bit of a spot... but brighter. The Betty was also bumped up in specs:

My initial thoughts are that I can't help but think that Lupine could have taken all of that light and spread it out more. It now has a (claimed) 1750 lumen output. I kept expecting the tree in front to catch fire. It is crazy bright, but all that light is placed dead center. To be fair, when paired with the Wilma, it makes a fantastic set up that allows you to ride as fast as you want. But I was hoping for something more like NiteRiders Pro1200 (below). You know, good projection and some beam spread. There are 7 LEDs to work with after all.

What do you think?

5 comments:

Kim said...

I have to say I really impressed by the NiteRiders Pro1200, it has just shot to the top of my wish list.

Gabor Kulcsar said...

Wider lens are coming for the Lupines. As they are now they are pretty much helmet-only lights.

Craig said...

Hmm, tough call, but think the answer is both. NiteRider on the bar, Lupine on the helmet. Of course we ride just as fast as we can with a lot less light as it is now. When is to much light to much? I'm not sure there is an answer.

Brian said...

The betty is due for a 22 degree lens upgrade mid to late March. The current setup w/cree is super bright, but still too narrow. Looking forward to more spread.

Saggav said...

Hey James,

We have a new bike light launched and I would love to be reviewed by the expert.
Could you please contact me at marketing@gemini-light.com . You can also check our website www.gemini-lights.com

I tried to reach gearreview but it seems there is a problem with the mail server.

Greets and thanks
Vag