Monday, November 10, 2008

Small Batteries

Before I jump into today's post I need to do some house cleaning. First, we are getting slammed (in a good way) by lights. I've got lights from Exposure, Ay-Up, Princeton Tec and Lights On!. I'm expecting more this week from Lupine. As you can see, things are getting busy, with night riding the only riding I do at the moment. Now, before you ask, it's going to be a little while before I can get any beam shots posted, though. Here's why:

As you can see, the weather isn't cooperating, currently. As soon as it does, though, I'll be out there with my camera. On the upside, we're dutifully checking the weather proof-ness of the lights!


The other day, I was going back through the boxes of the lights we currently have in house, collecting specs, and the like, and I saw something I hadn't seen before in the Wilma 5 case:

It's a tiny battery! How tiny? Well, as you can see, it's just 2 inches long, not including the connector, and has just 0.7Ah of juice, the Wilma 5's normal battery is 5Ah and runs for claimed 3hrs on high. This should yield about 25 minutes on high, more on low. For a size comparison, this is the normal Wilma 5 battery:

Now, why would you want such a tiny battery? Well, for one thing, you might be riding all night long. Maybe you are just cruising for a (very) short night ride, and want to attach the battery to you helmet, thereby eliminating the cord that normally dangles down your back. Or maybe, you are planning a very long ride, one that is going to push the limits of your standard battery, so you take this one along as a spare--you know, just in case you do run out of power. I don't know for sure, but I can tell you that this is the battery I'll be sporting on my next ride.

At least for 20 minutes of it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been watching a thread on www.mtbbritain.co.uk forum for a while about cheap bright lights.

There has also been a review posted

http://www.mtbbritain.co.uk/mountain_bike_lights_review_led.html

With what really seems like 500 lumens for about $60 with batteries for 2 hour burn time, charger and light then its a bargain.

I have one on order but it may well be worth taking a look at one at the side of the other MTB specific lights.

Anonymous said...

Very nice. I love the Tesla beam pattern. I also like the idea behind the Dinotte 1200 but I have not had good luck with their HIDs so we will see.

-Nicholas

James said...

Uh, Nicholas,

Dinotte has never made HIDs, so I don't know what you are referring to.

They only make LED based lights.