Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Expected

After staying up late to watch the election hullabaloo, I didn't have much hope for waking up early to ride today. I was surprised, then, when my alarm went off at 5:30 and I felt strangely awake.

Because of that, I only had to hit the snooze button twice before I got up.

Nor was I surprised when, as I stood before the kitchen sink to fill up a couple water bottles and look out the window, I saw snow outside.

I stepped out into my uninsulated garage and found it to be cold. I don't know if my tires needed any air, but I put a little in anyway for good measure. I unfolded the rollers and put the bike in place.

As usual, I set up my Computer in front of me so I could either watch a movie or listen to music. Although I knew I would find a movie distracting, I went with music so I could focus more on the workout. I don't have tons of music, but I have enough to sometimes make my choice difficult. This morning, though, I had to listen to "The National Anthem" by Radiohead. I'm not too sure about the lyrics, but I needed a driving beat to get me warmed up.

All told, I only had about 30 minutes before I had to end my session and go inside to make lunches for the children.

Today, I'm invigorated and awake. Sure. there's still snow outside. Also, it's true I no longer have a very important poll to monitor, but at least I have the quiet solitude of my garage in the early morning hours and my legs spinning. Spinning, but taking me nowhere.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading the first half of the post, I was looking forward to the end of the story where you get out on your knobbies (or snow bike tires, that most of us have seen but never ridden) in the snow....then the story turns and you get out the......rollers......

Disappointing!

Jon said...

Yeah, there isn't enough snow to use the snow bike yet. That is, I could use it, but it'd just be a sloppy, muddy mess.

Patience.