Friday, August 15, 2008

Zero to Go

Well, not zero time, just less than a day.

Certainly zero time for training.

Almost zero time to prep.

I wish, though, that there was zero time to worry. I really think I'm ready for the ride, but I can't help but worry about how well my body will handle it. I find myself doing a mental checkup on my body. I test my legs: yeah, they're fine. Is my back okay? My neck hurting (it hurt a couple of days ago for no apparent reason)? Is that a sore throat coming on?!

So, today I'm drinking lots and eating ... well, I'm trying to eat lots, but for once my appetite isn't what it normally is. Usually, I'd welcome a "free" day like today with lots and lots of food in a constant stream. I've been struggling today.

Things left to do:

  • Clean my rims and brake-pads so stopping is optimal--with lots of uphills, there comes lots of downhills.
  • Organize all my gear for the SAG vehicle tomorrow (what does SAG stand for, anyway?).
  • Relax!
  • Clean my sunglasses.
  • Get a hold of my SAG driver and work out a time to pick him up in the morning (I'm thinking we need to be on the road by 4:30! (AM))
  • Start filling bottles with eLoad (though I'd like to do this just before the ride, that means getting up even earlier)
  • Buy new battery for my wireless fork transmitter. (That sounds cooler than it is. This is just for my wireless cycle-computer.)
  • Go to the bathroom about 12 more times--because I'm drinking so much!
  • Shave
  • Print out turn-by-turn course outline for my SAG driver (in case he forgets)
  • Eat a banana.
  • Go to sleep early! (If I can sleep at all.)

Let me know if you think I'm missing some all-important pre-race ritual--or just something that I'll need.

1 comment:

Libby said...

I'd say you should "Relax!!!" a couple more times. You're gonna do great!