Monday, February 04, 2008

Variables

I am putting the finishing touches on my review of Gore's Phantom jacket -- previewed HERE -- and am also working on a sunglasses review. In the glasses review, we have two pair with swappable lenses and one with photochromic lenses. The Phantom has zip-off sleeves. What do these have in common?

Versatility.

Cycling is a wonderful sport/activity. One of the things that I like about it, and what keeps me coming back is the variability. I ride on the road, I commute, I ride off road, I ride long rides, I ride short rides, I race occasionally, I do hill repeats, I ride on the trainer -- when I must. I also ride when it's cold out, warm out, raining, windy, snowing, at night, during the day, at lunch, in the morning, at midnight... well, you get the idea. In order to do this comfortably, I have a variety of clothes and accessories. But, the best of these work for more than one type of riding and can handle a variety of conditions.

Look at the Phantom, it has removable sleeves. This means that I can start a long day in the saddle when it is chilly out, then removes the sleeves as I warm up.

Look at Rudy Project's Rydon, with their Photochromic Clear lenses. These things are nearly clear (95% transmission) and darken substantially (5% transmission) in direct sunlight. Start a ride at dusk and continue into the day light without stopping to swap lenses, or remove your sunglasses.

Arm and Leg warmers fall into this category, so do overshoes. They both help extend the range of the clothes you already have -- jerseys, shorts and those nicely ventilated shoes that enable your toes to freeze in the winter.

I could go on... there are so many variables, and so many products that help make you, the cyclist, comfortable while pursuing this wonderful sport.

2 comments:

Jon said...

I am always amazed at just how useful a simple wind vest is. If you don't own one of these, you should. It can make a huge difference on a cold day--or even a chilly one. It also doesn't work against you by keeping you so warm on that climb that you get drenched in sweat.

James said...

Agreed. Also, they tend to pack very small, taking up little room when not being worn.